Saturday, March 5, 2016

Hot Stuff


Belt and suspenders: redundant safety procedures in place to eliminate all risk. That tactic, for the risk-averse or the tired warrior in the habitat of wild things, could prove to be useful. See previous posts for the initial stories at http://journalistbynature.blogspot.com/2016/01/feeding-frenzy-foiled.html and http://journalistbynature.blogspot.com/2016/02/two-sides-of-persistence.html.

Although my pitched battle with squirrels and raccoons seemed at a pause (no pun intended, maybe), when a friend suggested I employ the use of cayenne powder as the ultimate repellent I reflected on that as a possibility, having heard stories of its success elsewhere. When she offered a free and unopened giant shaker of the product, who was I to say no? What could I possibly lose? Famous last thoughts.

Refilling the bird feeders with fresh and tantalizing morsels I sprinkled a bit of cayenne powder around the feeding stations and on the ground. On second thought, just to be sure, I dumped piles of it in an enlarged circle and along the fence top trail, smug in my assurance of this safety perimeter. Returning to my post at the kitchen window, I waited for my prey to arrive.

Soon the little flyers, sensing a banquet, returned to beak-crack single sunflower seeds and flit among the leafless shrubbery branches, chirping and quarreling, dropping shells below while keeping an eye out for pesky fluffy-tailed rodents. They appeared to be unaffected by the red powder coating their snack. Avian activity must signal an available food supply because the squirrels made haste for the feeders. As usual, Mr. Nutkin first perused the ground for easy pickings of overlooked seeds. But very soon he reared back on his chubby haunches, little paws furiously rubbing his mouth, cheeks and eyes. Ah ha! Cayenne powder in action!  He scooted off in a flash, sneezing along the fence top trail in an effort to get safely home. Nary a rodent returned that day. Word was out. I swelled with triumphant pride.

The following morning, anxious to see how the raccoons had fared, I opened the mini-blinds above the kitchen sink for a peek at success. My success. Some of the stones at the base of the feeder stand had been moved, again. The shepherd's crook holding the feeders seemed to be listing at an increased angle, perhaps from the weight of the filled feeder, perhaps from climbing attempts. Hard to say. But the cayenne powder dumped amongst the base weights seemed to convey deterrence. However, an unusual amount of bird seed was missing, or consumed.

Squirrels develop wire cutter teeth 
Puzzling over the quickly disappearing seed in the feeders, I began to ponder the possible reasons. Squirrels sneezing and dashing away. Check. Raccoons investigating and lumbering off to easier and less bothersome food sources. Check. Uh oh. The birds. So many birds. Such a great charm of finches, a host of sparrows, a party of jays, a general dissimulation of birds. At least there was no murmuration of starlings, those rapacious invasive creatures from England!

Another bag of seed bites the dust
In order to keep my feathered friends happily returning, for my
amusement and their nourishment, I am now required to buy more and more bird seed. It would appear as if the cayenne powder has been an accelerant to the birds' appetites. That tip to the shepherd's crook? Perhaps is was due to the now increasingly portly winged creatures perched in repose after a heavy meal. Cayenne powder, the hot stuff: their gain, my bank account loss.


















No comments:

Post a Comment